Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Where Does That Wild Abandon Go?

I think I was about 7 years old when I wrote this. It says:
 "On Sat, Nov 20  I went to the Field Museum. My Mommy took me with her. My Mommy did sketches while I went to the toy shop and glanced at the interesting things they had on display. At the toy store I bought two barometer dogs. Then I watched my Mommy make sketches. When I was glancing around I saw another lady sketching. When my Mommy was finished with her sketch she moved to another display. Soon, it was time to go, so I waited for my Mommy to clean up...at the toy shop. At the toy shop a lady had to sell 17 cents before she left...so a guard bought two 10-cent pencils and said
"Now you know what you're getting for Christmas."
Then my Mommy came for me and Daddy picked us up and we went home.
I thought I got into journaling when I first discovered the book "Artist's Way" in the 90s. But recently, a dear friend inspired me to dig up some childhood drawings I had mentioned...and because she was thoughtful enough to ask to see some of it... I found a huge stash of sketches from my childhood! What a trip! I had sketchbooks from age 6, drawings from age 3, and I found I also used to art journal as a young girl. I found this entry I typed and sketched of my Mom sketching at the Field Museum in Chicago. I remember the feeling as a child of loving to draw and always drawing whenever I could. I didn't have that adult fear of "it's not good enough"...I'd just draw whatever I felt. I wonder how...that childhood wild abandon gets trained out of us when we become adults.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

I love this post! I've really enjoyed seeing these childhood sketches on here and your facebook fan page. Your mom was proud of your artistic work to keep them for you. She knew some day you'd like to see them as she did her own. So much talent you have!!!

Unknown said...

That is so cool! You've always been an artist! Love the drawing, so cute. :)
♥Jenny